Friday, August 15, 2008

Some Interesting Facts about The Lings: What are We?

1. My grandpa, a Foochow, came to this country in the 50s to escape the extreme poverty in China. Over here, he opened a sundry shop in Sitiawan, Perak which was quite popular among the locals.

2. Because my grandpa died at a relatively young age, my religious-minded grandma almost single-handedly raised up two generations of the Lings. Thus, she enjoys a very special place in our hearts for her dedication and love in bringing us up.

3. Being poor, my parents worked hard to make ends meet. At one time, mum held three odd-jobs simultaneously to put my siblings and me through varsity. She has not stopped working since. Now, with the help of dad, she sells flowers and vegetables at Sitiawan market.

4. Two of my aunts live abroad. Dorothy resides in London, UK and Mary in New York, USA. Another two, Barnabas & Theresa live in KL and Shah Alam respectively while Mariam lives with grandma in Sitiawan. Most are enjoying their retirement or semi-retirement life.

5. Two of my siblings are doing their own business. Francis is in the 'air-cond' business while Annie has her own consultancy firm dealing with human resource training and management. As for Anthony, Paul and I, we all chose to become teachers.

No comments: